Watching the political class bodge the fiscal cliff deal, you'd be forgiven for thinking lawmakers aren't moved by the same human concerns as the rest of us.
Buzzfeed attempts to prove politicians are human after all with a listicle of "17 Moments That Restored Our Faith In The Humanity Of Politicians This Year." 17 is probably optimstic - but we've rounded up five moments that suggest politicians aren't made of stone:
1. John Boehner wept as he hugged Gabby Giffords when she returned to the House floor for the last time. And Debbie Wasserman Schultz cried as she read her close friend Giffords' letter of resignation.
2. Obama used sign language to talk to a deaf student. "I am proud of you," the student signed to the president. Not missing a beat, Obama signed back: "Thank you."
3. Mitt Romney impulsively gave cash from his pocket to an unemployed woman on a rope line.
4. Senator Jon Tester, who's missing three fingers, met with a 7-year-old boy who was born without three fingers and told him that he "can be anything" he wants to be (pictured).
5. This list wouldn't be complete without mentioning one "very heroic" act: the time Newark Mayor Cory Booker ran into a burning building and carried his neighbor to safety, saving her life.
Via Buzzfeed, Distriction, Mediaite, CSMonitor, and Youtube.