Most Americans haven't been following the sequester news and admit they don't know what the cuts will do, according to a WaPo poll. That's in spite of Obama's barnstorm across the country bringing dire warnings of closed schools and fired firemen.
Want to know how your state could be hit by the cutbacks? You can find out here.
* Communities with a lot of military families and defense contractors are likely to be hardest hit.
* Kentucky faces ~11,000 civilian Dept of Defense furloughs, reducing pay by ~$54.4 million in total. And KY schools will see $11.8 million in cuts.
* In Killeen, Texas, the country's largest Army base at Fort Hood will see 6,000 workers furloughed. The town's mayor, a Republican, says of people who think the cuts are harmless: "I don't know what planet these people are living on."
* Illinois would see half a billion in cuts to funds for law enforcement and crime prevention.
* In Virginia, 90,000 civilian Defense Dept. employees would be furloughed.
* About 4,180 fewer kids in Georgia will get vaccines.
* Tennessee would be hit by a $14.8 million loss of funding for schools, putting ~200 teacher's and teacher's aide jobs at risk. Important caveat: the projected job losses for teachers aren't set in stone, and in some cases reflect a lot of guesswork.
Via the Washington Post and Fox News.