America has been hoping for an arrest in the Boston Marathon bombings case and reporters couldn't wait to deliver the good news.
CNN reported early Wednesday afternoon that an arrest was made. The Associated Press said a suspect had been taken into custody. But the authorities said they jumped the gun.
The FBI denied that an arrest was made, slapping the media for being too hasty in reporting it:
"Contrary to widespread reporting, there have been no arrests made in connection with the Boston Marathon attack," the FBI said in a statement. "Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting."
CNN soon walked back its earlier report, saying a significant breakthrough in the investigation had occurred. Law enforcement officials have seen images of a potential suspect on video from a department store along the marathon route, the network reports.
The AP reports that the official who spoke to them "did so on condition of anonymity and stood by the information even after it was disputed."
Via USA TODAY and Associated Press