People have a lot of misconceptions about poverty in the United Staes, but thankfully Mother Jones compiled a list of ten big ones that get repeated a lot and debunked them.
1. Single Moms Are The Problem
2. Absent Dads Are The Problem
3. Black Dads Are The Problem
4. Poor people are lazy
5. If You're Not Officially Poor, You're Doing Okay
6. Go To College, Get Out Of Poverty
7. We're Winning The War On Poverty
8. The Days Of Old Ladies Eating Cat Food Are Over
9. The Homeless Are Drunk Street People
10. Handouts Are Bankrupting Us
Want more stories like this?
Try our Daily Email for a regular dose of the issues you care about!