Regardless of your stance on immigration, you've probably been disturbed by seeing images of immigrants kids housed in devastating conditions on the South Texas border.
If you want to help, here are two different ways:
Donate to a charity:
- Catholic Charities of the Rio Grande Valley have been providing support to the Catholic churches in South Texas that have taken in some of the immigrant children. Donate online here.
- Kids In Need of Defense helps unaccompanied minor immigrants get legal representation. You can donate to KIND here.
- Glenn Beck's charity Mercury One has been sending supplies to the refugee camps at the border. At the weekend, the charity distributed tractor-trailers of clothes, food, water, and toys. Donate to Mercury One here.
Donate essential supplies.
- Buy items through the Amazon Wish List set up by the Texas Young Democrats. When you buy supplies from the list they are sent directly to the border centers housing the kids, where essential items like shoes and underwear are in short supply.
- Drop off items to refugee centers in South Texas. The South Texas Refugee Response posts a list each day of the items they need most. They can only accept items at their Texas locations.
- If you're in the El Paso neighborhood, Annunciation House accepts donated supplies. Annunciation House has had to house huge numbers of immigrant families in recent weeks. If you're not in El Paso you can make a donation online.