Last night New York passed America's most sweeping gun control laws, making the state the first to legislate in response to the Sandy Hook massacre. The package of laws includes the following:
1. Bans a wide range of semiautomatic rifles, like the Bushmaster used in Newtown. Owners of ~1 million assault weapons that were formerly legal will be allowed to keep their guns, but will have to register them with police within a year.
2. Requires background checks for buying bullets. NY is the first state to enforce this.
3. Requires background checks for all gun sales, even private sales between family members.
4. Bans ammunition magazines larger than seven rounds, down from the current 10.
5. Creates a complete database of all the people banned from gun ownership.
6. Increases jail time for gun crimes and for taking gun into schools.
7. Doctors and therapists must tell state authorities about patients who threaten illegal gun use.
8. Handgun owners must renew their licenses every 5 years.
The law quickly passed both the Republican-controlled state Senate and the Democrat-led Assembly, and was signed into law by Gov. Andrew Cuomo on Tuesday night.
Via AP and the Week.